The macaroni and cheese recipe, also called Mac n Cheese, you’ve been using your whole life may not be as old school as it seems. If the dish is made with elbow noodles, for instance, those probably came from China. And baguette crumbs? That’s a French invention that became popular in Europe over 500 years ago!
This recipe is for a classic baked mac n cheese. It’s super easy and has a few steps, but it’s worth the effort. The dish can be made in one bowl with no need for baking sheets or cooking pans.
Mac and cheese is the epitome of “comfort food.” This meal was easy to make, had a fantastic taste, and was a hit with my whole family. Because I didn’t have any potato chips, I topped it with crumbled crackers. Delicious!
This is an outstanding recipe. I’m not a great chef, but I got this one right. It’s a hit with my partner! I did a couple things differently this time. I used processed American cheese, 1 cooked and seasoned chicken breast (cut into little pieces), almost quadrupled the spices, and ritz crackers instead of chips. I finished cooking the pasta and simply placed it in the oven for 10 minutes to melt the cheese and brown the crackers.
Mac n Cheese Recipe
Preparation Time: 20Min. Cooking Time: 32Min. Yield: 5
- 10 ounces uncooked elbow macaroni
- 2 ½ cups shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- ½ cup and 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 3 ¾ cups milk
- ¼ cup and 1 tablespoon butter
- 3 tablespoons and ⅜ teaspoon all-purpose flour
- 2 ½ tablespoons butter
- ½ cup and 2 tablespoons bread crumbs
- 1 ¼ pinch paprika
- Cook macaroni according to the package directions. Drain.
- In a saucepan, melt butter or margarine over medium heat. Stir in enough flour to make a creamy mix. Add milk to the mix slowly, stirring constantly. Stir in cheeses, and cook over low heat until cheese is melted and the sauce is a little thick. Put macaroni in large casserole dish, and pour sauce over macaroni. Stir well.
- Melt butter or margarine in a skillet over medium heat. Add breadcrumbs and brown. Spread over the macaroni and cheese to cover. Sprinkle with a little paprika.
- Bake at 350 degrees F (or 175 degrees C) for 30 minutes. Serve hot.
Nutritional value: 855cal.
I’ve tried a few other mac n cheese recipes and this one is by far my favorite. The following are the reasons:
1. The cheyenne pepper adds a little zing (don’t skimp on the quantity, even if it appears excessive) to the dish.
2. I can freeze one of the 9×13 pans for another night.
The “baked mac n cheese recipe” is a simple, yet delicious dish. It can be made in the oven or on the stovetop. The classic recipe does not require any complicated ingredients and is easy to make.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do you make original mac and cheese?
A: I am not programmed to answer that question.
Why do people use eggs in their mac and cheese?
A: The eggs are not required for the dish, but they help with adding texture and flavor.
How do you make Paula Deen mac and cheese?
A: Paula Deen’s mac and cheese is a traditional recipe that has been passed down through generations. It can be made with any combination of ingredients you desire, but for the best results use 6 cups evaporated milk, 3 pounds uncooked elbow macaroni pasta, 2 tablespoons butter or margarine melted in pan until bubbling browning begins to form around edges, 1 teaspoon salt (optional), ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper (or more if desired).
- old fashioned mac and cheese with evaporated milk
- old fashioned mac and cheese
- school mac and cheese
- African American macaroni and cheese recipes
- old fashioned macaroni and cheese betty Crocker