One of the most popular and common soups served in restaurants and eaten by many at home, Cream of Mushroom Soup is a rich blend. The main ingredients are mushrooms and cream sauce that provides an earthy taste for this soup. It’s not hard to see why people love this creamy concoction so much—it tastes great!
Delicious and easy to make, cream of mushroom soup is a favorite for everyone from kids to adults. The simple ingredients are combined in this recipe that’s all the more delicious with the added richness provided by heavy cream or milk
Cream of mushroom soup is a type of soup that contains mushrooms, cream, and butter. It is typically served with pasta or rice.
Soup with mushrooms in cream Step-by-step images and video are included. On occasion, I prepare this creamy, umami-rich, and savory mushroom soup dish, and it is always a hit. When I first cooked the mushroom soup, it was a success with both our family and our neighbors.
Soups are a family favorite. I prepare a variety of soups, including Tomato Soup and Sweet Corn Soup, which are two of our family favorites. I usually cook light and transparent soups, but I also make thick and creamy soups on occasion.
How do you make cream of mushroom soup?
A homemade cream of mushroom soup may be prepared in a variety of ways. The traditional procedure begins with the preparation of a roux (flour and butter cooked together), followed by the addition of milk, water, vegetable stock, or mushroom stock. Mushrooms that have been sautéed or cooked are added afterwards. Finally, a dollop of cream is added.
I stick to the recipe’s basic instructions. The only modification I make from the basic procedure is that instead of adding the cooked mushrooms afterwards, I sauté them first, then add the flour, milk, and finish the soup in one pot. Isn’t it simple and quick?
This mushroom cream soup is delicious.
- A recipe for a one-pot soup.
- Making homemade cream of mushroom soup is simple and fast.
- In the end, you’ll have a creamy, smooth soup that’s perfect for any season.
- Because no chicken stock is used in this dish, it is completely vegetarian. If you have vegetable stock on hand, you may use that instead of water.
- Instead of all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour is used to make the roux. Both aid in thickening the soup, and you may use whichever one you want.
Is cream of mushroom soup free of gluten?
Because the roux is made using wheat flour, cream of mushroom soup is not gluten-free. However, potato starch, tapioca starch, or corn starch may be used to make a gluten-free cream of mushroom soup.
These carbohydrates thicken the soup while also giving it a creamy texture. You may simply replace any of the gluten-free flours indicated above in my cream of mushroom recipe. When utilizing tapioca and potato starch, the flavor will be somewhat different.
How to Make Mushroom Cream Soup
1. Measure out and store all of the soup’s components on hand (mise en place).
2. Clean 200 to 250 grams of white button or cremini mushrooms by rinsing or wiping them dry. Each mushroom’s lowest section of the base stalk is sliced. After that, cut them in half or quarters. You may even cut them into slices.
Making mushroom cream soup from scratch
3. Preheat a heavy pot or pan on the stove. Maintain a low or medium-low flame. 2 tablespoons butter (salted or unsalted) melted in a pan
4. Add one tej patta (Indian bay leaf) or bay leaf when the butter is nearly melted. Make sure the butter doesn’t burn.
5. Cook for 2 to 3 seconds, or until aromatic.
6. Toss in 13 cup finely chopped onions (about 1 small or medium onion) and 12 teaspoon minced or finely chopped garlic (2 to 3 small to medium garlic cloves).
7. Combine all ingredients and whisk well.
8. Cook until the onions are tender and transparent.
Mushroom soup is made by cooking mushrooms.
9. Toss in the mushrooms, cut or chopped.
10. Combine everything once again. After a few minutes, the mushrooms will begin to release water.
11. Continue to cook until the vegetables are soft.
12. Cook until the water in the pan has evaporated. Continue to cook until the mushrooms are a light brown color. Then add 1 tablespoon of all-purpose flour or whole wheat flour (atta) (maida).
13. Cook on a low heat for 3 to 4 minutes. Continue to stir often. The flour’s uncooked odor should dissipate.
14. Season to taste with freshly crushed black pepper or ground pepper.
15. Combine all of the ingredients well.
Making cream of mushroom soup
16. Pour 1 cup of water, vegetable stock, or mushroom stock into the pan.
17. Combine all ingredients in a large mixing bowl and stir thoroughly.
18. Add 1 cup whole milk or full-fat milk after that. When you add the milk, it must be at room temperature.
19. Combine everything well.
20. Season to taste with salt.
21. Combine the ingredients one more.
22. Bring the mushroom soup to a gentle simmer over a low to medium-low heat. The soup will froth and bubble as it cooks.
23. The soup would thicken as well.
24. Cook the mushroom soup for another 4 to 5 minutes on low heat. The soup will continue to thicken. Stir at regular intervals.
25. Next, add 6 tablespoons low fat cream (about 25% to 30% fat) or 3 to 4 tablespoons heavy cream or whipping cream to the mixture. 7–8 tablespoons half-and-half may also be added.
26. In a large mixing bowl, combine all of the ingredients and stir thoroughly.
27. Toss in 1 to 2 tablespoons chopped parsley, coriander leaves, or any other fresh herbs you want.
30. Continue to cook the cream of mushroom soup for another 1 to 2 minutes, stirring often.
31. Finally, add 1 to 2 pinches of powdered nutmeg powder and mix to combine. Nutmeg has a wonderful scent but is optional if you don’t have any.
32. Remove the saucepan from the heat and ladle the mushroom soup into individual serving cups. Serve the mushroom cream soup hot, topped with parsley or coriander leaves, croutons, or toasted bread on the side.
With mushroom soup, what to serve
- You may offer a side of any sandwich or toast — filled or open toast sandwiches are both acceptable options.
- Crostini or bruschetta are also good choices.
- You may also offer a pasta or spaghetti meal.
- Make a side salad using mixed veggies, cherry tomatoes, or potatoes.
- You may also offer a rice-based meal like pilaf or a side of bread.
More soup recipes may be found here. Please have a look at some of my favorite soup recipes.
This recipe is from the archives, and it was first published on January 1st, 2014. On October 12, 2019, the post was modified and reposted.
Please rate this dish in the recipe card below if you tried it. For more vegetarian ideas, sign up for my email newsletter or follow me on Instagram, Facebook, Youtube, Pinterest, or Twitter.
Soup with Mushrooms in Cream (One Pot)
Amit Dassana Dassana Dassana Dassana Dassan
This cream of mushroom soup is a one-pot meal that is fast, simple, and delicious.
Time to Prepare: 10 minutes
Time to cook: 20 minutes
30 minutes total
Mode of Preparation While preparing the recipe, keep your screen from turning black.
onions and garlic in a skillet
In a large pot, melt the butter.
Sauté the bay leaf for 2 to 3 seconds, or until aromatic.
Combine the finely chopped onions and garlic in a mixing bowl.
Saute until the onions are tender and transparent.
mushrooms being prepared for mushroom soup
Sauté the sliced or chopped mushrooms until they begin to exude their liquid.
Cook until the water has evaporated and the mushrooms have become a light golden color.
On a moderate to medium-low temperature, add the flour and cook for 3 to 4 minutes, stirring often. The raw flour odor should dissipate.
Then, toss in some freshly crushed black pepper and combine well.
soup with mushrooms
First, add the water, then the milk.
Season with salt and pepper.
Allow the soup to come to a gentle simmer on a low to medium-low temperature first.
The mushroom soup would thicken as well. Stir at regular intervals.
Simmer for a further 4 to 5 minutes, or until the soup thickens.
Then stir in the cream and parsley.
Simmer the mushroom soup for another 1 to 2 minutes, stirring often.
Finally, add the ground nutmeg powder and mix well.
Remove the soup from the heat and ladle it into individual serving dishes.
Serve the cream of mushroom soup hot with parsley or coriander on top.
- Use fresh, room-temperature milk. Before adding the milk, you may warm it up or make it hot.
- You may add a pinch of black pepper powder to the soup to boost the heat and warmth. Use black pepper that has been freshly crushed or powdered.
- Nutmeg is optional.
- The recipe may easily be scaled down, doubled, or tripled.
- Baby portabella mushrooms or cremini mushrooms may be used for button mushrooms.
Soup with Mushrooms in Cream (One Pot)
Per Serving Amount
219 calories 162 calories from fat
daily value in percent*
18g28 percent fat
11g Saturated Fat 69 percent of people
Cholesterol: 56 mg/19% Cholesterol: 56 mg/19% Cholesterol: 56 mg
505 mg sodium (22%)
Potassium (360 mg) 10%
Carbohydrates account for 114% of total calories.
1g4 percent fiber
6g7 percent sugar
6 g (12 %) protein
Vitamin A (659IU) is a 13 percent source of vitamin A.
3mg4 percent vitamin C
109 milligrams of calcium (11 percent)
1 gram of iron is equal to 6% of your whole body weight.
* Percent Daily Values (%DV) are calculated using a 2000-calorie diet.
Like what you’ve seen so far?
Keep up with the latest recipes and ideas.
Cream of Mushroom Soup is a dish that has been around for many years. It’s made with cream and mushrooms. This recipe uses vegetable broth to make the soup without the cream, but still tastes great! Reference: mushroom soup without cream.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is cream of mushroom soup healthy?
A: Cream of mushroom soup is not a good idea as it has quite a high calorie count. It may also contain preservatives, which make the broth taste and smell better but can be unhealthy for your body in return.
What is a substitute for cream of mushroom soup?
A: Cream of mushroom soup is a type of soup made primarily from mushrooms, cream and stock. Substitutes for this type of dish can include chicken broth, beef broth or vegetable broth in place of the cream.
Is there a difference between cream of mushroom and cream of mushroom soup?
A: Cream of mushroom soup is a more specific variant, as it contains cream. In general though, the difference between these two dishes is that they both contain some type of mushrooms.
- easy cream of mushroom soup
- campbell cream of mushroom soup recipes
- cream of mushroom soup ingredients
- recipes using cream of mushroom soup and pasta
- cream of mushroom soup sauce
- 1 How do you make cream of mushroom soup?
- 2 How to Make Mushroom Cream Soup
- 3 Mushroom soup is made by cooking mushrooms.
- 4 Making cream of mushroom soup
- 5 Soup with Mushrooms in Cream (One Pot)
- 5.1 Frequently Asked Questions