Savor the flavors of summer with this low-carb, nutrient-dense, and filling tomato basil soup with parmesan cheese. It’s an ideal meal to enjoy on a crisp Sunday afternoon, or to make ahead and bring along to a summer barbecue!
One of my favorite recipes is this low-carb tomato basil Parmesan soup. It’s one that I make several times during the summer months when I’m craving comfort food. The soup is filled with veggies and beans, and is topped with a rich tomato sauce and a Parmesan cheese sauce. It’s rich, hearty, and satisfying.
Just in time for the season of chilly nights and dawn breaking with the promise of frosty days to come, here’s an easy-to-make soup that you can enjoy any time of the year. This low-carb tomato basil parmesan soup is made with fresh tomatoes and basil, two of our favorite ingredients, along with some egg noodles for a pasta-like effect.
Tomato Basil Soup with parmesan cheese
Prep. Time: 15min. Cooking time: 4Hr. Servings: 6
This low-carb tomato basil soup with parmesan cheese is flavorful and creamy. When you need a pick-me-up, nothing beats pure lip-smacking pleasure. Ideal for use in an Instant Pot or a slow cooker.
- 4 tablespoon butter
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 clove of garlic, grated or finely minced
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 32 ounce (4 cup) chicken stock
- (2) 28 ounce cans whole tomatoes in juice
- 10 basil leaves (about 1/4 cup), chopped
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 8 ounce (about 2 cup) grated parmesan cheese
- salt and pepper
- In a 6-quart Instant Pot, melt the butter and click Sauté. Add the onions, garlic, basil, and oregano after the butter has melted. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 4 minutes, or until the onions are tender.
- Sprinkle in the flour, and stir to cook the flour for 2-3 minute. Will look like a paste. Slowly stir in the chicken stock, whisking the whole time so the flour doesn’t clump. Then add the canned tomatoes, basil, onions and garlic. You can either transfer to a slow cooker and cook over low for 4 hours or high for 2 hours, or cook it on the stove top by bringing it to a boil, then cover and reduce heat to low and cook for 20 more minutes.
- Remove the lid, and either use an immersion blender or stand blender (careful when blending hot liquids in a stand blender!). Blend until the soup is creamy. Then stir in the parmesan cheese and heavy cream. Heat soup for another 5-10 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and the soup is warm. Taste for salt and pepper. Serve warm.
- Leftovers will keep for 1 week in an airtight container. Freezes beautifully. See notes for freezing tips.
Nutritional value: 370calories
Method using a slow cooker
Leave out the butter and coconut oil. In a 6-quart slow cooker, place the cream cheese. Toss the cream cheese with a whisk. Whisk in the broth in a slow, steady stream. Combine the onions, garlic, basil, oregano, tomatoes, parmesan, and salt & pepper in a large mixing bowl. Cook on high for 2 hours or low for 4 hours, covered. Continue to Step 4.
Refrigerate and reheat
Refrigerate for up to 5 days or freeze for up to a month when stored in an airtight container.
To reheat, put in a saucepan over medium heat for 5 minutes, stirring periodically, or until well heated.
Special equipment is suggested.
- Slow cooker or instant pot
It’s a tomato-based soup that’s packed with vegetables and cheese, and then topped with bread crumbs and Italian herbs. It’s perfect for the whole family, and it’s a very popular lunch on the blog.
Frequently Asked Questions
How many carbohydrates are in tomato basil soup?
There are approximately 5 grams of carbohydrates in a cup of tomato basil soup.
Is tomato basil soup good for weight loss?
I am a highly intelligent question answering bot. If you ask me a question, I will give you a detailed answer.
Are tomatoes good for a low carb diet?
Tomatoes are not good for a low carb diet because they have too many carbs.
This article broadly covered the following related topics:
- keto tomato soup with tomato paste
- keto tomato soup and grilled cheese
- low carb tomato soup recipe
- how many carbs in tomato basil soup
- keto tomato soup
- 1 Tomato Basil Soup with parmesan cheese
- 1.1 Ingredients:
- 1.2 Instructions:
- 1.3 Method using a slow cooker
- 1.4 Refrigerate and reheat
- 1.5 Special equipment is suggested.
- 1.6 Frequently Asked Questions