Homemade cherry sauce is a delicious and easy to make recipe. It’s great for holiday entertaining, or even the everyday meal!
Homemade cherry sauce is a simple and easy to make recipe. It’s also delicious on waffles, cheesecakes or on any kind of bread. It’s easy to make and goes perfectly with everything.
This dessert sauce is naturally vegan, gluten-free, dairy-free, nut-free, wheat-free, and egg-free and all you need is FIVE simple ingredients: frozen cherries, water, cornstarch (or arrowroot starch), fresh lemon juice, and sugar.
Cherry Sauce Recipe
It is a non complicated recipe, made with simple things and yummy in taste. It’s an amazing dessert sauce which is loved by all age groups.
Preparation Time: 15Min. Cooking Time: 15Min. Yield: 10
- 550 g fresh red cherries, pitted
- ¼ cup white granulated sugar
- ¼ cup water
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2-3 teaspoons cornstarch
- Add water, sugar, cornstarch, and lemon juice to a small pot. Whisk until no cornstarch lumps remain.
- Place pot over medium heat and whisk mixture continuously until it starts to thicken, about 2-3 minutes.
- Add frozen cherries and stir. When mixture starts to bubble, turn the heat down to low and simmer for 5-7 minutes, stirring occasionally so the mixture does not stick to the bottom of the pot. Continue simmering until the sauce has thickened and looks glossy.
- After the time has passed, remove the pot from the stove and allow the sauce to cool completely in the pot.
- Once cooled, place the cherry sauce in a jar, cover, and refrigerate.
Nutritional Value: 55cal./serving
How to store
If there is leftover from this recipe than you can store it in an air-tight container for 3-4 days. It contains cornstarch so it will not taste good after storing for long.
- The sauce will thicken more as it cools and will thicken even more after being refrigerated so keep the consistency accordingly.
- Arrowroot starch can be used instead of cornstarch.
- To Make with Fresh Cherries: Remove all pits, and use only ⅓ cup of water and start with less sugar. The amount you add will depend on the sweetness of your cherries. Reduce simmer time by a minute or two.
- Since the Cherry Sauce is usually served over a sweet dessert, we love that it is a little tangy. If you prefer a sweeter cherry pie filling, be sure to add a little more sugar to sweeten the mixture.
- The taste of sauce will be much tangier and flavorful with fresh cherries instead of frozen ones.
Fresh cherry sauce is a simple and delicious way to add a sweet taste to any dish.
What is cherry sauce made of?
In a medium saucepan, whisk together water, lemon juice, cornstarch, and sugar. Put the saucepan over medium heat and stir until it starts to thicken. Add cherries and continue stirring occasionally until sauce is at a light uniform boil and has thickened. Remove from heat and cool to room temperature.
Can I use canned cherries instead of fresh?
Frozen cherries can be substituted for fresh cherries in most recipes. If you are substituting canned cherries for fresh, you may need to drain or rinse off the syrup before proceeding.10
What can I do with tasteless cherries?
Toss them in sugar, honey, or maple syrup, along with a little fresh juice or alcohol
Can you freeze cherries with the pits in them?
You can, although we highly recommend pitting cherries before freezing, just for convenience’s sake. Since frozen cherries can be used as is, without thawing, you’ll thank yourself later for doing the pitting work ahead of time.
Do cherries reduce belly fat?
There is a lack of research that suggests cherry consumption directly reduces visceral (belly) fat. But these fruits can be part of a weight loss diet.
What happens if you cook cherries with the pits?
t depends somewhat on the energy of the cook, but, aside from labor, the disadvantage to pitting or stoning is that some recipes just don’t come out right after the pits or stones have been removed. This splits, breaks, or mashes the fruit somewhat, and a certain amount of the juice is bound to be sacrificed.
- cherry sauce for meat recipe
- cherry sauce recipe for duck
- cherry sauce made with cherry pie filling
- cherry reduction sauce
- cherry topping for cheesecake recipe
- 1 Cherry Sauce Recipe
- 2 How to store
- 3 Tips