Low Carb General Tso’s Chicken is a keto friendly remake of this American Chinese classic, all the taste you love but without the added sugar and carbs. This recipe comes in at around 4g net carbs per serving, which makes it perfect for dinner!
Thanks to the popularity of the keto diet, we are seeing more keto-friendly recipes being posted online. The General Tso’s Chicken recipe below is a great keto recipe choice, because it’s fast and easy, and it tastes pretty darn good.
This is the one recipe that I’ve made two times to test. I made the same recipe as the one posted on the blog, but I didn’t use the sauce from the blog, and I added some chicken broth instead of the any readymade broth from the recipe.
Do you like simple, family-style dishes in the Instant Pot?
This sweet and spicy keto dish for the Asian Instant Pot – General Tso’s Chicken – is a must-try. It’s much healthier than takeout, but you get the same delicious chili, ginger and garlic flavors with this delicious chicken and sauce, especially if you serve it with cauliflower rice!
Make highly popular Tso’s chicken Keto-style with these simple ingredients!
Instead of frying the chicken, we smear it with egg and almond flour, and then fry it directly in the bottom of the Instant Pot in the convenient saute mode.
With chili paste, soy sauce (or tamari for the gluten-free version), garlic, ginger and ketchup, it’s easy to make a richly spicy sauce with no added sugar. The sauce is poured over the chicken and cooked under pressure. Once done, just whisk and add a little xanthan gum to thicken the sauce.
The result is a tasty chicken with a layer of meat and a thick sauce to go with the rice. I just steamed a bag of frozen cauliflower in the microwave for a few minutes and served the chicken on top. Very simple and delicious.
Keto General Tso’s Chicken –
Yield: 4 Servings Prep time: 20 Min. Cooking time: 4 Min.
A sweet and spicy American- Asian chicken dish the whole family will love, easy to prepare in the Instant Pot!
For the sauce:
- 5 tablespoons less sodium soy sauce (or tamari for a gluten free option)
- 2 tablespoons ketchup without added sugar
- 1 teaspoon chili paste
- 1/2 teaspoon minced ginger (from the jar)
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon Swerve granular sweetener
- 3 cloves of fresh garlic, finely chopped
- 1.5 pounds boneless chicken thigh meat
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 egg whites
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum
- Optional garnish: green onion and sesame seeds
Directions to make:
1. Whisk together the sauce ingredients and set aside.
2. Cut the chicken into small pieces and season with salt and pepper.
3. Put the almond flour in a small bowl and the beaten egg whites in another. Dip each piece of chicken in the egg and then in the flour to coat it.
4. Heat the coconut oil in the Instant Pot in the fryer setting. Fry the chicken outside in the Instant Pot. It may not all fit, so you will need to make multiple servings.
5. Degrease the bottom of the pan with broth and, using a spoon, remove any small pieces that stick to the bottom of the pan to avoid pressure problems.
6. Pour the sauce over the chicken. Close the lid and switch to high or manual mode for 4 minutes.
7. Release the pressure gently and quickly. I use the back of a wooden spoon so my hands don’t touch the valve.
8. Whisk in the xanthan gum to thicken the sauce. Serve on top of the cauliflower cubes. I heated up a freezer bag in the microwave and served the chicken on it for convenience. Garnish with spring onions and sesame seeds if desired.
Nutritional Value: 427 calories | 30 g fat | 7 g total carbohydrate | 2 g fiber | 1 g granulated sugar | 35 g protein | 4 g net carbs
Don’t you have an Instant Pot? No problem.
To make this delicious recipe in the slow cooker, I would first coat and sear the chicken in an oiled skillet, then add it to the slow cooker. Then make a sauce and pour it over the chicken with the broth. Then put the lid on the pan and put the slow cooker on low for 4 hours. The General Tso’s chicken will be ready in no time.
Immediate and delicious results!
I really like this sauce. It is very tasty and at the same time not too spicy. My family loves this takeout and now I can make it at home as an easy keto meal! YUMMY!
This simple recipe for fried rice with cauliflower is delicious!
instant pot general Tso chicken keto instant pot recipes keto sesame chicken instant pot instant pot chicken recipes instant pot general Tso chicken paleo keto instant pot chicken tenders, People also search for, Privacy settings, How Search works, instant pot general Tso chicken, keto instant pot recipes, keto sesame chicken instant pot, instant pot chicken recipes, instant pot general Tso chicken paleo, keto instant pot chicken tenders, keto general Tso chicken, cheap easy keto instant pot recipes