Cornbread dressing is an old favorite, and one I like to make when I have extra cornbread to use up. I keep it simple because I don’t like to get too clever with my kitchen experiments, but there are actually a few variations that work well.
This is the simple, delicious recipe for cornbread dressing that has become a favorite with our readers. To make it, simply mix 1½ cups cornmeal with ½ cup self-rising flour, ½ teaspoon salt, and 2 teaspoons baking powder. Mix in ¾ cup buttermilk and ½ cup melted butter. Mix until just combined. Pour into a greased 9×13 inch baking dish and bake in a 350 degree oven for 35 to 40 minutes, or until golden brown.
One of the best things about summer is eating fresh cornbread. It’s like eating a piece of summer in a bowl! But I wish I had a recipe that was a little healthier.
Southern cornbread dressing is a flavorful side dish that is substantial and filling. This simple meal is delicious and cozy, and it’s great for holidays like Thanksgiving and Christmas. It , on the other hand, is so tasty and easy to make that it’s perfect for any family dinner.
Cornbread dressing has a delicious taste that’s heightened with celery, sage, spices, and stock, and it’s the perfect side dish for roasted meats and fowl, particularly when drizzled with homemade gravy!
Cornbread Dressing Recipe
Prep. Time: 20Min. Cooking Time: 30Min. Yield: 8
- 1 cup self-rising cornmeal
- 1/2 cup self-rising flour
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons Vegetable oil
- 8 tablespoons butter (1 stick)
- 3 medium onion, chopped
- 4 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried sage
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 3 pieces toast, crumbled
- 1/2 cup milk
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 to 2 1/2 cups chicken stock or broth
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Using butter, grease a 9-inch baking pan.
- In a large mixing basin, combine the cornmeal, flour, buttermilk, eggs, and oil. Place the batter in the greased pan that has been prepared.
- Set the temp. of oven to 200°F and bake for 20–25 minutes. Remove the cornbread from the oven and allow it cool fully before crumbling it.
- In a pan, melt the butter. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the celery and onions are tender but not brown.
- Combine the sage, poultry seasoning, salt, and pepper in a mixing bowl.
- Whisk together the milk and eggs in a mixing basin. Toast the crushed cornbread with it.
- Add the chicken broth and mix well. Incorporate the onion mixture. Pour in additional broth if required.
- Pour the mixture into the baking pan. Dressing should be topped with chopped butter. Reduce the heat to 350°F and bake for 30 minutes, or until the top is golden brown.
- Let the mixture cool down a bit before serving.
Nutritional Value: 320 calories
How to Make the Best Cornbread Dressing in the South
– Start making the cornbread ahead of time. Cornbread dressing is best made with somewhat stale cornbread. If you’re going to prepare the dressing the same day, toast the cornbread for 30 minutes at a low temperature to dry it out.
– You can make homemade cornbread dressing with a variety of tasty ingredients. Dried fruit, nuts, fresh herbs (such as rosemary, thyme, and chives), and fresh fruit (apples and pears) can elevate your cornbread dressing to new heights.
– You may also add chopped cooked eggs, shredded chicken, pulled pork, shrimp, or ground beef to your dressing to make it more interesting.
– Instead of broth, use cream of chicken (or cream of mushroom) soup to make a richer cornbread dressing.
– Bake your Southern cornbread dressing uncovered in the oven to let it solidify and crisp up the top.
How to Keep Cornbread Dressing Fresh
Cover and refrigerate any remaining cornbread dressing. Within 3 to 4 days, you should be able to enjoy it.
The cornbread for your casserole may be made up to two days ahead of time.
Are you tired of the same old cornbread dressing recipes that have been floating around the internet for years? Our take on cornbread is a lot more interesting than the usual, boring ones that you find online. We’ve got the most delicious and easy to make dressing recipe that will knock the socks off the best dressed salad at any gathering.. Read more about school cafeteria cornbread dressing recipe and let us know what you think.
Frequently Asked Questions
Why do you put eggs in dressing?
Eggs help the dressing stick to the salad.
What is Turkey dressing vs stuffing?
Turkey dressing is a type of salad dressing that contains mayonnaise, sour cream, and sometimes other ingredients. Stuffing is a dish made from bread crumbs or other dry ingredients mixed with herbs and spices.
Should cornbread be dried out for dressing?
Cornbread should be dried out for dressing.
This article broadly covered the following related topics:
- cornbread dressing recipe southern
- cornbread dressing recipe soul food
- cornbread dressing recipe southern living
- cornbread dressing recipe paula deen
- cornbread dressing recipe easy
- 1 Cornbread Dressing Recipe
- 2 How to Make the Best Cornbread Dressing in the South
- 3 How to Keep Cornbread Dressing Fresh
- 4 Notes