Wheat berry salad is a hearty, nutritious dish that can be served as a side or a main course. Wheat berries are whole, unprocessed wheat kernels that are high in fiber and protein. This recipe includes a variety of fresh vegetables and a tangy vinaigrette to create a flavorful and satisfying salad.
Wheat Berry Salad recipe
Prep. Time: 10Min. Cooking Time: 70Min. Serving: 2
For the Salad:
- 1 cup wheat berries
- 3 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 cucumber, diced
- 1 bell pepper (any color), diced
- 1/2 red onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley, finely chopped
For the Vinaigrette:
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Rinse the wheat berries under cold water until the water runs clear.
- In a large saucepan, combine the wheat berries, water, and salt. Bring the mixture to a boil over high heat.
- Once boiling, reduce the heat to low, cover the saucepan, and let the wheat berries simmer for about 60 minutes, or until they are tender but still chewy.
- While the wheat berries are cooking, prepare the vinaigrette. In a small bowl, combine the olive oil, red wine vinegar, minced garlic, and Dijon mustard. Whisk until well combined. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Once the wheat berries are cooked, drain them in a colander and rinse under cold water to cool them quickly. This will stop the cooking process and remove any excess starch.
- Transfer the cooled wheat berries to a large salad bowl. Add the halved cherry tomatoes, diced cucumber, diced bell pepper, finely chopped red onion, and chopped parsley.
- Pour the vinaigrette over the salad and toss well to ensure all ingredients are coated. Let the salad sit for a few minutes before serving, to allow the flavors to meld together.
- Taste and adjust the seasoning as needed. You can add more salt, pepper, or vinaigrette as desired.
- Serve the wheat berry salad at room temperature, or refrigerate and serve chilled. This wheat berry salad recipe can be made ahead of time and stored in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Enjoy this nutritious and flavorful wheat berry salad as a side dish or a satisfying meal on its own!
Nutritional Value: 325kcal.
What do you eat wheat berries with?
Wheat berries have nutty flavor so they’re great with fresh vegetables and dried fruit such as cherries or cranberries. You can add them to soups too.
Do wheat berries need to be soaked?
Soak wheat berries in a bowl overnight. Use enough water to ensure that the wheat berries are covered. This step isn’t necessary, but it will cut back on the cooking time down the line and make things easier.
What is another name for wheat berries?
Botanically, it is a type of fruit called a caryopsis.
How much protein is in wheat berries?
Wheat berries are high in protein for a grain, with 9g per quarter cup (48g) serving.
How long are cooked wheat berries good for?
Store in refrigerator.
If not using right away, store the cooked wheat berries in a tightly covered container in the refrigerator for up to a week.
Do wheat berries have gluten?
Keep in mind that wheat berries are not gluten free. If you’re sensitive to gluten or wheat, or if you have celiac disease, you should avoid wheat berries or recipes that involve wheat berries.
Are wheat berries healthy?
These help in weight loss, reducing the risk of cardiovascular diseases, managing LDL (bad) cholesterol, improving digestive health, and preventing diabetes. They also help strengthen the bones and prevent anaemia.