In this summer, make this simple tomato salad recipe! It’s delicious, fresh and easy to make. This recipe has cherry tomatoes, candied hazelnuts, crispy croutons, ripe tomatoes, fresh basil, soaked red onion, balsamic vinegar and olive oil.
It can be made easily within 15minutes and can be enjoyed at any time of the day!
This tomato salad may be served as a side dish or as a whole dinner. It will please you on every level: It’s mixed in a gingery balsamic & olive oil dressing with lush greens, juicy tomatoes, cheese, candied hazelnuts, and crunchy croutons.
If you don’t have time to prepare everything, don’t worry: every additional ingredient, including the gorgeously glazed crunchy-sweet hazelnuts, is completely optional. You may substitute honey mustard dressing or any other dressing you have on hand if you don’t like balsamic dressing. Vegan? Remove all of the cheese from the recipe! And by all means, feel free to use any store bought or oven-baked croutons!
Let us know how you enjoyed this salad and what you changed to make it your own in the comments section below!
Tomato Salad Recipe
Preparation Time: 15Min. Cooking Time: 25Min. Yield: 6
For candied hazelnuts-
- 1/4 cup olive oil- extra-virgin
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper, freshly ground
- 2/3 cup hazelnuts, roasted
- black pepper, freshly ground
- 2tbsp. sugar
For the croutons–
- 1 tsp. olive oil that is extra-virgin
- 1/2 cup bread pieces
- 1tbsp. unsalted butter
- black pepper, freshly ground
- salt to taste
- red pepper flakes ( optional)
- 1 cup chopped red onion
- 4 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 large tomatoes, cut into bite-sized wedges
- ½ cup thinly sliced fresh basil or parsley
- 4 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 tablespoon thick balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon flaky sea salt or kosher salt, to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Around 1 cup mini mozzarella balls or cubed part-skim mozzarella
- 1 cucumber, thinly sliced
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone mat to make the candied hazelnuts. Pour sugar into a big saucepan over low heat in a uniform layer. Heat the sugar until it’s almost completely melted, then add the nuts, a pinch of salt, and pepper, and stir continually until the sugar is equally coated. Remove the caramel from the heat as soon as it starts to smoke. Transfer to prepared sheet tray and press into an equal layer with a silicone spatula. Allow for thorough cooling before slicing into pieces.
- Fill a small bowl with ice water and add the chopped red onion (soaking the onion will tame its intense flavor and make it more crisp). Set aside as you prepare the remaining ingredients.
- To make the croutons, melt butter and oil in a large pan over medium heat. Stir in the bread pieces to uniformly coat them with butter. Season with salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes (if using) and cook, stirring periodically, for 10 to 12 minutes, or until bread is golden and crispy, lowering heat to medium-low if required.
- To assemble the salad, arrange tomato pieces at the bottom & than layer about one-third of the onions on top. Add half of the cherry tomatoes, followed by a layer of any optional additions like cucumber or cheese, followed by another layer of the onions. Cover up with the remaining cherry tomatoes and sprinkle the basil all over.
- Drizzle the olive oil over the salad, followed by the balsamic vinegar. Sprinkle the salt and several twists of black pepper on top. Taste and, if necessary, add extra dressing. Top with croutons and candied hazelnuts.
Nutritional Value: 100cal.
This salad is best consumed within a couple of hours, but leftover salad can be kept in the refrigerator, covered, for 3 days.
You can also substitute ripe sliced peaches for some of the tomatoes.
This is kid- friendly and tastes awesome on any summer day. It can be added to any meal or just alone too.
This creamy tomato salad is the best recipe for a healthy summertime dinner. It’s perfect for picnics, barbecues, or even to bring to work!
Frequently Asked Questions:
What is the best salad tomato?
A: The best salad tomato is the beefsteak because it has a very intense flavor.
What goes with a tomato salad?
A: Tomatoes are usually accompanied with a variety of different toppings. Some examples would be toasted bread croutons, cucumbers and green onions, basil and feta cheese.
Does tomato salad need to be refrigerated?
A: It is best to keep tomato salad refrigerated for maximum freshness.
- tomato salad balsamic
- fresh garden tomato salad recipes
- best salad with tomatoes
- Italian tomato salad recipe
- easy tomato salad