Creamy Leeks have subtle flavor and creamy deliciousness and this dish can outshine main course too. I love experimenting with flavors and I wanted to put together a low-carb meal that offered a creamy, rich texture. I decided to use leeks, as well as cream and cheese, to make a low-carb version of an old favorite.
Leeks are often associated with winter, but this lovely vegetable is actually available all year round. It’s a member of the onion family and also known as the green onion, spring onion, scallion, or simply onion. While the vegetable has many health benefits, its popularity comes from the fact that it can be used in several ways including in salads, soups, and even desserts.
Also, this quick and easy creamed leeks recipe is the perfect side dish for any roasted meat and a superb main meal choice for vegetarians.
Creamy Leeks with Butter & Cheese
Awesome Color. The taste is subtle. Creamy delectability. Three reasons to remember to buy leeks next time if you’re at the market! This side dish adds subtle tastes and complete pleasure to any main meal.
Serving: 4 Prep Time: 10Min. Cooking Time: 15Min. Total Time: 25Min.
- 2 leeks
- 2-3 tbsp. butter
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup cheddar cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- fresh chives, finely chopped(optional)
- 1 pinch ground nutmeg (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit (200 degrees Celsius) or turn on the broiler.
- Trim and thoroughly rinse the leeks. Cut stalks in half lengthwise and into 4-inch long sections.
- In a nonstick skillet, sauté leeks in butter over medium heat. Alternatively, you may cook them for a few minutes in gently salted water. If you use water, be careful to drain it completely before continuing.
- In a baking dish, place the leeks.
- In a saucepan, bring the cream to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and stir in the cheese. Stir until the cheese is completely melted.
- To taste, season with salt and pepper. Add nutmeg and chives, chopped (optional).
- Over the leeks, pour the cheese sauce. Bake for 15-20 minutes or broil until the dish has become a beautiful golden color, monitoring carefully.
Here are some cream alternatives you can use:
- Single Cream
- Milk & Butter
- Skimmed Milk
- Tofu & Soy Milk
- Cottage Cheese & Milk
- Chilled Evaporated Milk
- Greek Yoghurt
- Low-fat Cream Cheese
Nutritional Value: 120 kcal.
It’s important not to cook your leeks too long or they will turn to mush in the pan. Like with so many things in life, nobody wants a mushy leek. If leeks are overlooked, yet their mild creaminess complements a wide range of foods, including meat, chicken, fish, and eggs. Anyone for smoked salmon? So, what exactly are you waiting for?
“Creamy Leeks with Butter & Cheese” is a low carb recipe for leeks, but we also add some cream to them and cheese to make it a bit more like a rich and cheesy leek soup. Leeks are very nice, but they have a strong flavor and they can be a bit challenging to cook well. And they can have a bit of an oniony aftertaste. We found a way to improve them so they are more pleasant and even with the cream and cheese make it more like a rich and creamy leek soup. You can use them for anything you want, like a leek pizza, a leek soup or leek pizza..
Can you have Leek on keto?
Yes, you can have leek on keto.
Can you have Philadelphia cream cheese on keto?
Yes, Philadelphia cream cheese is keto-friendly.
Is butternut squash keto approved?
Yes, butternut squash is a keto-approved food.
This article broadly covered the following related topics:
- leek keto recipe
- are leeks ok on keto
- creamed leeks recipe
- carbs in leeks keto
- slimming world creamy leeks