Vegetable dumplings are a type of food that is typically made with vegetables. They can be frozen and eaten as a meal or appetizer.
This dish is a traditional Chinese recipe that’s made with finely chopped vegetables and served in dumpling-like shapes. They can also be boiled, fried or steamed. These dumplings are a healthy treaty as are filled with steamed vegetables and are not fried. They are very light to digest. They make an awesome snack to be shared with friends in gatherings.
Vegetable Dumplings Recipe
These dumplings are really yum and you will love the recipe so much that won’t order from outside again!
Prep. Time: 2hrs. Cooking Time: 30min. Serves: 25
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup (115 grams) warm water
- Neutral oil
- 1 teaspoon grated ginger
- 1 medium chopped onion
- 1 cup baby carrots, finely chopped
- 150 grams firm tofu, drained, dried, and cubed( optional)
- 1 cup (160 grams) frozen shelled edamame beans, thawed
- 1/2 medium green cabbage, cored and roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup shiitake mushrooms, chopped
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon vegan oyster sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon mushrooms seasoning
- kosher salt to taste
- Cornstarch, for dusting
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- Dumpling Wrappers– Put the flour in a large mixing bowl. Gradually add the water to the flour and knead into a smooth dough for 8-10 minutes. Cover with a damp cloth and let the dough rest for an hour. Uncover and transfer the dough to a work surface, then knead by hand until the dough is smooth. Place the dough back into the bowl, cover, and let rest for another 45 minutes while you prepare the filling.
- Make the filling- In a wok or large skillet over medium high heat, add 2 tablespoons oil and add the ginger. Cook for 30 seconds, until fragrant. Add the onions and stir-fry until translucent.
- Add the chopped mushrooms and stir-fry for another 3-5 minutes, until the mushrooms are tender and any liquid released by the mushrooms has cooked off.
- Add the tofu and cook, flipping occasionally, until a brown crust forms, about 3 minutes.
- Add the cabbage and carrots and stir-fry for another 2 minutes, until the veggies are tender and all the liquid released has been cooked off. Transfer the vegetable mixture to a large mixing bowl and allow to cool.
- Season with the soy sauce, oyster sauce, sugar, mushrooms seasoning, and salt. Toss to combine and cook until the liquid is mostly evaporated, a minute or two. Empty into a bowl.
- Making dumplings- Transfer the rested dough to a work surface. Knead a few times to remove any air bubbles, then divide it into 25 equal pieces and roll each into a ball.
- Roll each out into a circle, and place a spoonful of filling in the middle. Pleat the dumplings in your desired way. Continue assembling until you’ve run out of filling and/or dough (If you have any extra filling, save it in the fridge or freezer for another use.)
- To steam, put the dumplings in a steamer lined with a bamboo mat, cabbage leaf, or cheese cloth, and steam for 15-20 minutes.
- To pan-fry, heat 2 tablespoons oil in a non-stick pan over medium high heat. Place the dumplings in the pan and allow to fry for 2 minutes. Pour a thin layer of water into the pan, cover, and reduce heat to medium-low. Allow dumplings to steam until the water has evaporated. Remove the cover, increase heat to medium-high and allow to fry for a few more minutes, until the bottoms of the dumplings are golden brown and crisp.
- Serve with the favorite dumpling sauce.
Nutritional value: 240kcal.
To make these dumplings gluten-free, skip the tofu and use gluten free flour. These are very healthy and flavorful food item. You can make them with your friends and family members on any holiday. You can enjoy the making process and say that one can eat only ones they pleat. Try different pleating ways so as to make the dumplings interesting.
So, don’t wait anymore and enjoy the healthy and delicious vegetable dumplings!
Vegetable dumplings are a dish made by frying vegetables and then adding dough to create a filling. They can be fried, boiled, or steamed. Vegetables that are commonly used in vegetable dumplings include carrots, cabbage, onions, celery root, potatoes, and turnips. Reference: chinese cuisine
Are vegetable dumplings healthy?
“Steamed or boiled dumplings are a reasonably healthy option, but you need to think of things like the filling, serving size and condiments you are using,”
What are three types of dumplings?
We’ll show you 7 of the best Chinese dumplings to bite, slurp, and munch on.
Potstickers. Potstickers are a type of traditional pan-fried Chinese dumpling.
Xiao Long Bao (Soup Dumplings)
Sheng Jian Bao (Pan-Fried Soup Dumplings)
What sauce goes well with dumplings?
Chinese Hot Chili Oil.
Soy Ginger Sauce.
Dumpling Dipping Sauce.
Classic Chinese Duck Sauce (Plum Sauce)
Thai Peanut Sauce
Hoisin Dipping Sauce.
Chinese Sweet and Sour Sauce
Vietnamese Tamarind Dipping Sauce.
What kind of flour is best for dumplings?
Grocery store All-purpose flour, with a moderate amount of gluten, such as Gold Medal brand, works exceptionally well.
What side dishes go with dumplings?
Chicken Stir-Fried Noodles. This mouthwatering noodle is a perfect side dish to serve with your dumplings, especially during weeknights.
Quinoa Cabbage Salad.
Green Bean Salad.
Stir-Fried Snow Peas.
Scrambled Eggs With Zucchini.
What are dumplings filled with?
Popular meat fillings include ground meat (usually pork, but can instead be beef or chicken), shrimp, and even fish. Popular mixtures include pork with Chinese cabbage, pork with garlic chives, pork and shrimp with vegetables, pork with spring onion, garlic chives with scrambled eggs.
Frequently Asked Questions
What are vegetable dumplings made of?
A: The vegetables used to make vegetable dumplings are potato, onion, celery root and carrots.
What are dumplings filled with?
A: The most common filling for dumplings is pork, but they can also be filled with beef or vegetables.
- vegetable dumplings calories
- vegetable dumplings steamed
- vegetarian dumpling filling recipe
- vegetable dumplings indian recipe
- vegetable dumplings near me
- 1 Vegetable Dumplings Recipe
- 1.1 Ingredients
- 1.2 Instructions
- 1.3 Are vegetable dumplings healthy?
- 1.4 What are three types of dumplings?
- 1.5 What sauce goes well with dumplings?
- 1.6 What kind of flour is best for dumplings?
- 1.7 What side dishes go with dumplings?
- 1.8 What are dumplings filled with?
- 1.9 Frequently Asked Questions