Overnight oats are an easy and delicious way to enjoy a healthy breakfast with minimal effort. Perfect for those busy mornings when you don’t have the time or energy to cook up a full meal, this overnight oats recipe is fast, vegan, and will keep you feeling full until lunchtime!
Read on for the perfect combination of ingredients that will make your mouth water. Get ready to start your day off right with this easy-to-make breakfast dish!
Overnight oats are a convenient and delicious breakfast meal that can easily be prepared the night before. Unlike traditional oatmeal, overnight oats require no cooking, but instead use a mix of ingredients to create a chilled oatmeal-like dish that is ready to eat first thing in the morning. This easy, no-cook method makes them a great time saver while still providing all the great benefits of oatmeal.
Preparing overnight oats is fairly straightforward and requires little time to put together – all you need is an airtight container such as a jar or tupperware, some basic ingredients such as oats, milk, and sweetener (optional), as well as some additional topping/mix-ins for flavor such as fresh fruit, nut butter or spices. Once assembled, simply store in the fridge for 8–10 hours and your breakfast will be ready when you wake up!
Benefits of Eating Overnight Oats
Overnight oats are becoming increasingly popular as a healthy and delicious breakfast option. The combination of slow release carbohydrates, protein, and essential vitamins and minerals make overnight oats nutritious as well as convenient.
Here are some of the benefits of eating overnight oats that make them an excellent addition to your diet:
- Low fat: Overnight oats are naturally low in fat while still providing filling dietary fibre and protein. This makes them an ideal choice for those looking to reduce caloric intake without feeling hungry or deprived.
- Quick to prepare: With only a few ingredients you can make overnight oats quickly the night before then grab and go in the morning. This makes them an ideal breakfast option for those who struggle with finding time for a proper sit-down meal at the start of their day.
- High in nutrients: One bowl of overnight oats is packed with essential vitamins and minerals to fuel your body throughout the day. Iron, magnesium, calcium, folate, B vitamins, Vitamin E and Vitamin A (in the form of beta carotene) are all easily obtainable from high quality ingredients such as rolled oats, fresh fruit, nuts and dairy in one bowl.
- Delicious taste: Overnight oatmeal has a mild sweetness which can be amped up simply by adding honey or maple syrup – plus you won’t bore with familiar flavours! Oats take on the taste of whatever you combine them with so they can quickly adjust to suite any taste preference – sweet or savoury!
Simple Overnight Oats Recipe
Preparation time: 8-10Hrs. Cooking Time: 0 Total Time: 10 Hrs.
Overnight oats are a healthy and delicious breakfast option that can be put together in just minutes. They are easy to make ahead of time and require no cooking, making them a great choice for busy mornings or for people who don’t have a lot of time for breakfast. This simple overnight oats recipe contains just four ingredients and is loaded with fiber and protein, so it will keep you fueled all morning long.
- ½ cup rolled oats
- 1 teaspoon chia seeds
- 1 tablespoon of berries like blueberries, strawberries or cranberries
- ½ cup milk (or another non-dairy milk like almond milk)
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup or honey (optional)
- 1 tablespoon nuts mix (optional)
- In a resealable jar or bowl, combine the rolled oats, chia seeds, milk and optional sweetener (if desired).
- Add the toppings as desired.
- Securely close the lid on the jar or secure the lid/cover onto your bowl and shake/stir to combine the ingredients.
- Place in the refrigerator overnight to allow the oats to soak up the liquid and become soft and flavourful.
- When ready to eat, remove from refrigerator, stir well then add any desired toppings such as sliced banana, nuts/seeds, coconut flakes etc., as desired. Enjoy cold or warm up briefly in microwave before eating!
Nutritional Value: 166 kcal.
Tips for Making the Perfect Overnight Oats
Overnight oats can make a nutritious and convenient breakfast or snack. To get the most out of this simple dish, there are a few key tips to keep in mind.
Overnight oats are made by soaking rolled oats in liquid (usually milk or plant-based milk) overnight in the refrigerator. You can customize them with add-ins like fruit, nuts, or seeds, and a sweetener of your choice such as honey, maple syrup or agave syrup.
Here are some tips for making perfect overnight oats:
- Start with a ratio of 3 parts liquid to 1 part rolled oats. This will ensure your oats soak up enough liquid and achieve the perfect texture.
- Use a wide container so that the oats are not piled on top of one another, allowing them to soak evenly.
- Add add-ins like fruit and nuts before refrigerating for best results.
- If you prefer sweeter overnight oats, mix in your chosen sweetener before refrigerating for maximum flavor absorption.
- For those who like cold overnight oats, try adding some frozen fruit before refrigerating for 8 hours or more!
Variations on Overnight Oats Recipes
Overnight oats recipes are a great way to quickly and easily make a nutritious breakfast. Oats are naturally high in fibre, and have a low glycemic index. This means that they release energy slowly over time, helping you to feel fuller for longer. By making your oats the night before, you can enjoy them in the morning with minimal effort required.
There are many variations on overnight oats recipes, allowing you to make them your own while still retaining nutritious benefits of the oats. You can change up basic ingredients like milk or yogurt, add interesting flavors such as cocoa powder or peanut butter, incorporate seasonal fruits and choices nuts and seeds – all whilst keeping within good nutritional parameters. It is important to remember not all additions will be low-calorie or healthy fats so try to focus on small amounts of nutrient dense foods like nuts or nut butters and seeds which provide healthy fats and protein rather than adding sugary treats.
Overnight oats are an incredibly easy and nutritious breakfast. Oats are high in fiber, as well as protein, making them a nutritious and filling choice. They also provide valuable vitamins, minerals and antioxidants that can help to protect against disease and improve overall health.
Nutritionally speaking, overnight oats are a great option for breakfast. Here is some information about the nutritional value of 1 cup of oats:
- Calories: 166 kcal
- Protein: 5g
- Carbohydrates: 28g (4g fiber, 4g sugar)
- Fat: 3g
- Vitamin A: 8% of the RDI
- Vitamin D: 11% of the RDI
- Iron: 16% of the RDI
- Magnesium: 34% of the RDI
- Calcium: 5% of the RDI
- Zinc 7% of the RDI
In addition to the nutrients listed above, oats also provide other vitamins and minerals such as thiamin (B1), riboflavin (B2), folate (B9), vitamin B12, phosphorus, potassium, copper and manganese. Oats also contain phytochemicals that offer additional health benefits.
Overnight oats are an easy and nutritious breakfast you can make the night before and have ready to grab when you wake up in the morning. You simply mix oats with liquid, add some flavorings like fresh fruit and spices, then refrigerate overnight.
Making overnight oats is ideal if you’re short on time in the mornings but want a nutritious breakfast. It also makes meal prepping easier because it yields several servings that are easy to transport.
When it comes to overnight oats, the possibilities are truly endless. Use your imagination and get creative with the ingredients you choose to layer in each bowl. Enjoy these oats as a quick and nutritious breakfast that will satisfy your taste buds, along with providing you with fiber and healthy fats for energy throughout the day.
Overnight oats are an amazing way to reap the benefits of a healthy diet without sacrificing deliciousness!
External References:- Healthy Breakfast Recipes
What type of oatmeal should I use?
Rolled oats work best for overnight oats because they become soft and tender as they soak up all of the liquid. Steel cut oats have a chewier texture, which may be less desirable in this type of recipe.
How much liquid should I use?
The ratio for liquids depends on your preference for consistency – generally about 1/2 cup liquid for every 1/2 cup rolled oats. Some people like a lighter consistency while others prefer heartier oatmeal with more chewiness – adjust accordingly!
How long do overnight oats last in the fridge?
Overnight oats will keep fresh when stored in a sealed container in the fridge for 3 to 5 days depending on what type of milk or yogurt was used as one of your liquid ingredients. If using dairy milk, it is best consumed within 2 days due to shorter shelf life than non-dairy milks like almond milk or coconut milk products such as coconut water or coconut yogurt.
Is overnight oats good for weight loss?
Weight Loss Overnight Oats (Easy Make-Ahead Breakfast) Weight loss overnight oats are the best meal prep breakfast recipe. They’re healthy, low calorie, easy to make, vegan, inexpensive, and so tasty! Did you know they’re a great option if you want to slim down and lose weight, too?
Are overnight oats better than cooked?
The intensity of heat while cooking is the contributing factor, lower the heat better the nutrient availability. When you soak the oats overnight, it’s almost like you’re cooking them, but the process is much longer and slower, and it’s done without heat. Hence, it is more nutrient rich than cooked version.
- 1 Introduction
- 2 Benefits of Eating Overnight Oats
- 3 Simple Overnight Oats Recipe
- 4 Tips for Making the Perfect Overnight Oats
- 5 Variations on Overnight Oats Recipes