Do you crave a delicious yet simple breakfast dish? Looking for something to make for your family this Sunday morning? Try out this Best Buttermilk Pancakes Recipe – it’s sure to satisfy everyone’s cravings! With just a few ingredients and easy instructions, you won’t have any trouble nailing this classic breakfast staple.
Welcome to the world of homemade buttermilk pancakes! There is nothing quite like a delicious stack of these light and fluffy pancakes. Whether you are a beginner or an expert, this easy buttermilk pancake recipe will get you there in no time!
Buttermilk pancakes made from scratch have several advantages over the mix. First, they can be made healthier by adjusting ingredients to fit your preferences. From wheat flour instead of all-purpose to egg whites instead of whole eggs, and even replacing some of the buttermilk with yogurt and adding seasonal fruit pieces, a few tweaks will help make your pancakes better for you.
Second, home-made buttermilk pancakes are very easy to whip up – think 10 minutes or less if you already have some prepped ingredients in your fridge – so they make a great last-minute breakfast or brunch option that’s vibrant and lively. And finally, they taste much better than store-bought mixes because there’s something special about freshness that just can’t be replicated in a box.
Fluffy Buttermilk Pancakes recipe
Creating the perfect stack of fluffy buttermilk pancakes requires just a few simple ingredients: you’ll need all-purpose flour, baking powder and soda, salt, sugar, eggs, buttermilk and butter.
Prep. time: 15Min. Cooking Time: 7Min. Servings: 12
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons sugar (optional)
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups buttermilk (plus additional for thinning batter)
- 4 tablespoons butter (melted and cooled slightly)
- Whisk together the dry ingredients like flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt in a large bowl
- Whisk in the buttermilk, eggs and vanilla extract just until combined. Some small lumps are okay. You will want to use enough buttermilk so that your batter is nice and thick.
- Let pancake batter rest for 10 minutes.
- Heat a large skillet or griddle over medium-high heat.
- Spray with non-stick cooking spray OR brush with butter or oil. For perfect round pancakes, use the back of a spoon to spread the batter into an even circle.
- Ladle 1/3 – 1/2 cup batter onto the griddle for each pancake.
- Flip the pancakes over when small bubbles appear on the surface and continue cooking on the opposite side until golden brown.
- Repeat these steps until all of your pancakes are cooked. Stack up and serve warm with plenty of butter and syrup! Enjoy!
Nutritional value: 125kcal.
Cooking is an essential part of the art of making buttermilk pancakes. The key to a light and airy pancake is to properly mix the batter and make sure that all ingredients are incorporated, without overmixing.
When making buttermilk pancakes, the first step is to place the dry ingredients into a medium-sized mixing bowl. This should include the all-purpose flour, granulated sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. After mixing these together until they are incorporated, add the wet ingredients: melted butter or oil, eggs and buttermilk. Use a wooden spoon or rubber spatula to mix these together until just incorporated – no more than 20-30 seconds of stirring – as overmixing may lead to dense pancakes.
Once your batter is mixed together properly, turn on your griddle or electric skillet and bring it up to temperature at 375 – 400°F (190-200°C). Grease your pan with vegetable oil or butter; drop generous spoonfuls of batter onto your heated surface and cook for about 1-2 minutes per side until golden brown. Serve with warm maple syrup for a delicious breakfast!
The best way to serve buttermilk pancakes is with butter, maple syrup and fruit, or your favorite topping. The butter can be spread over the individual pancakes before adding a generous drizzle of syrup. You can also top the pancakes with fresh fruit such as sliced bananas or berries.
If you want to get creative, you can add a dollop of whipped cream and then finish it off with sprinkles of your favorite nut or dried fruit for an added crunch.
You may also want to try combining different ingredients such as adding chocolate chips, peanut butter chips or even cooked bacon strips for savory pancakes. With all of these options, the possibilities are endless!
Serving this delicious breakfast entrée has never been so easy – stack them high and treat yourself or your family to a delightful breakfast experience!
Also Read: Pancake recipe
Tips & Tricks
Making buttermilk pancakes is a fun way to start your day and it can be even more enjoyable by customising the recipe to your tastes. Here are some tips and tricks to help make the perfect buttermilk pancake:
- Use the freshest ingredients possible, such as free range eggs. This provides the best layer of flavor for your pancakes.
- Be sure to use cold buttermilk for moisture and flavor. Make sure you stir it well before adding it so all lumps get mixed in evenly.
- If you happen to have a griddle, use it for more even cooking of multiple pancakes at once and an extra-crispy edge on each pancake.
- If desired, add some lighter flavors like vanilla extract or almond extract, or incorporate diced fruits or berries into your batter for a tasty twist on classic buttermilk pancakes!
- Once you pour a pancake, wait until bubbles form around the edge before flipping over the pancake onto its other side so that they do not stick while trying to turn them over too soon in their cooking process!
Buttermilk pancakes are a great base for creating delicious and unique recipes. With a few simple variations, you can customize your mix to suit any taste and occasion. Here are some ideas for personalizing your pancake mix:
- Fruits: Add diced fresh fruit like banana, apples or blackberries to the batter before cooking. You can also top pancakes with warm compote, slices of fresh fruit or an easy syrup made from mashed fresh fruit and some honey.
- Dry ingredients: To add extra flavor or texture, stir in any kind of chopped nut, seeds like sunflower or pumpkin seeds, flaked coconut, chocolate chips or dried fruit such as raisins or cranberries.
- Herbs & Spices: Fresh herbs like basil, chives and thyme add flavor to savory pancakes, while cinnamon sugar and vanilla work wonders for sweet pancakes. For a bit of extra zing, add freshly grated ginger or nutmeg.
- Vegetables: Applesauce can be used as a substitute for eggs in the batter. You can also stir in mashed sweet potatoes or ripe mashed bananas to the batter mixture before cooking – this will give you amazing results! If you’re feeling creative why not try shredded spinach combined with feta cheese – these savory pancakes make an impressive addition to any brunch menu!
These fluffy buttermilk pancakes make a great weekend brunch or light dinner. They are easy to whip up in minutes and pair well with a variety of toppings including maple syrup, bacon, and fresh fruit. Don’t forget the butter! Enjoy your delicious pancakes with hot coffee and great conversation.