Struggling to eat healthily? You’ll love this easy, delicious and nutritious banana bread recipe. Loaded with nutrients and low in calories, it’s perfect for those who are looking for a healthier alternative to store-bought baked goods. This healthy banana bread recipe is the perfect way to indulge without feeling guilty.
Making banana bread at home might feel intimidating, but this healthy banana bread recipe yields deliciously moist and flavorful results with little effort. This easy banana bread recipe uses simple ingredients like whole wheat flour, mashed bananas, plain yogurt and honey to create a delicious treat that the whole family can enjoy.
While this healthy banana bread is naturally sweetened with fruit and honey, you can even make it entirely sugar free by omitting the honey; it will still be delicious! This recipe yields one 9×5 inch loaf of banana bread. Enjoy it with a cup of your favorite coffee or tea for breakfast, or let it cool completely before slicing and serving as an afternoon snack.
Benefits of Banana Bread
Banana bread is a great snack to enjoy. Made up of ripe mashed banana and other wholesome ingredients, it is not only surprisingly delicious but also beneficial to your health.
Bananas are packed with essential vitamins and minerals such as magnesium, potassium, Vitamin A and Vitamin C. Eating bananas can help with digestion due to the presence of dietary fibers like resistant starch. They have also been found to reduce inflammation, improve heart health and improve kidney health due to the presence of minerals like potassium.
In addition to vitamins and minerals, banana bread is also high in proteins which are needed for the repair and growth of all tissue in the body. As banana bread is made with sweetener such as honey or brown sugar instead of white sugar, it can be a better alternative for those looking for healthier options when trying to indulge their sweet tooth cravings. They are also low in calories and have a lower glycemic index compared to white flour-based foods or cakes.
Therefore, next time you’re looking for an indulgent snack option that still helps you maintain your healthy diet, look no further than banana bread! Enjoy this yummy treat without any guilt!
Banana Bread Recipe
This healthy banana bread recipe makes a perfectly moist loaf of banana bread without any refined sugar. Gather the ingredients. Make sure you have all the ingredients for your recipe before you begin.
Prep. Time: 10Min. Cooking Time: 50Min. Serves: 7-8
- 3 ripe bananas
- ¼ cup apple sauce
- ⅓ cup maple syrup
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/3 cup butter, unsalted, melted
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup rolled whole oats
Optional topping: crushed walnuts, dark chocolate chips, or shredded coconut.
- Preheat oven to 180ºC (160ºC fan assisted). Grease a loaf tin with some melted butter and line with parchment paper.
- Mash the bananas. Peel and mash the bananas in a large bowl using a fork until they are completely smooth. There should be no lumps remaining once they are mashed up. Stir the melted butter into the mashed bananas.
- Mix together all wet ingredients like eggs, vanilla extract, apple sauce & maple sauce. In a separate bowl, mix together flour, salt, soda and cinnamon until it is fully combined and even in texture.
- Combine wet ingredients with dry ingredients and stir until just combined into a batter. Stir until fully incorporated into the batter – be careful not to over-mix as this will create a tough banana bread loaf!
- Transfer mixture to prepared loaf tin, spreading evenly before baking for 50 minutes or until golden brown on top and a toothpick comes out clean when inserted into centre of loaf.
- Allow the loaf to cool completely before serving. Then, slice and Enjoy!
Nutritional Value: 225kcal.
Once you have mastered the basic recipe for healthy banana bread, there are so many variations you can make to add your own flavor and flair.
Here are some ideas that include different fruits and flavors:
- Fruit Variations: Banana bread does not just have to be made of bananas. Add in other fruits like apples, blueberries, diced pears or peaches for more texture and sweetness.
- Nut & Seed Variations: For a tasty crunchy finish, add some chopped nuts to the batter like almonds or walnuts. You can also sprinkle some sesame seeds or pumpkin seeds on top of the banana bread before baking for a crunchy topping.
- Spices & Extracts: For a delightful flavor, try adding in one teaspoon of cinnamon, nutmeg or ginger powder to the mix before baking your banana bread. You can also give it a rich finish with some pure vanilla extract or almond extract.
The possibilities are endless when it comes to creating delicious variations of healthy banana bread! Don’t be afraid to experiment with different flavors – you never know what tasty combinations you might discover!
This healthy banana bread recipe yields one loaf of sweet, moist banana bread. It contains fat, protein and carbohydrates per serving. The primary ingredients are all-purpose flour, ripe bananas, eggs, Greek yogurt or regular yogurt, baking powder and baking soda. Other optional ingredients that can be added include: nuts or seeds (sunflower seeds and walnuts are recommended), dark chocolate chips and/or dried fruits such as raisins or cranberries.
Additionally, this banana bread is a great source of vitamins (A & C) as well as a good source of thiamin and phosphorus from the all-purpose flour used. Make sure to store any leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days or freeze it for up 3 months.
Tips and Tricks
When it comes to baking banana bread, there are a few tips and tricks that you can use to ensure that your bread turns out perfectly delicious every time.
- Make sure you are using very ripe bananas – the darker the peel, the better! A helpful tip is to freeze ripe bananas overnight and then thaw them the night before you plan to bake. Freezing the banana helps it break down faster when blending and allows more banana flavor to shine through in your final product.
- You’ll also want to make sure that you don’t over mix your batter. Overmixing will lead to a heavy, dense loaf instead of a light fluffy one; try mixing ingredients until everything is just combined before pouring into your loaf pan.
- Additionally, adding some interesting mix-ins can take your banana bread recipe to the next level – think chopped nuts, coconut flakes or even chocolate chips! When adding mix-ins, be sure not to overfill your loaf pan as this can cause it to overflow or bake unevenly.
- Lastly, baking at lower temperatures for longer periods of time yields gooey delicious banana bread whereas baking at high temperatures for shorter bursts can help you achieve a nice golden brown outer crust on top of an equally cooked inside. Don’t forget about checking for doneness too – insert a toothpick into the center and see if there’s any raw batter left behind before letting it cool slightly before eating! Enjoy!
Once your banana bread is cooled, you can enjoy a totally healthy and delicious treat. You can even cut it up into slices and store it in the refrigerator for plenty of morning snacks or after-school treats. It’s a tasty way to gain additional energy and nutrients during the day while avoiding added sugar, unhealthy fats and excess calories. Plus, this recipe is super easy to make so it’s perfect for busy weekday mornings or lazy weekend days. Enjoy your banana bread healthy recipe!